Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A Journey Worth Taking

The opportunity to bring two of my students to the STARS Conference has been exciting and rewarding for both me and my students. I teach Science at Sirigu SHS, a small rural high school in northern Ghana. When I first announced the conference to my form 2 students, many of them were interested, but I only received two application letters. The letters were sincere and excited and from two of my best students, both of them prefects at the school. I chose Alfred and Grace to go the conference began to prepare and plan for the event.

I was at least as excited as my students were about going to Kumasi and spending a week learning about leadership and interacting with students from all over Ghana. I knew I would get the chance to see volunteers that I hadn’t seen in months. For the students, it really was an adventure into the unknown. Neither had traveled much before, and we were going to cover almost ¾ of the country before we arrived at our destination: Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology. We passed the 9 hour bus ride talking about the conference and charting our course by each roadsign we passed. Finally arriving tired and hungry at our massive dormitory and conference hall, we enjoyed a meal, met our friends new and old, and retired to bed.

Throughout the conference, I have watched my students get to know new friends, learn and teach, lead and share with the others here. It makes me so proud of my students when I see them blossoming into successful leaders and people. This conference has given them so many opportunities and they have taken advantage of them and learned so much. I am very happy to be able to bring my students to STARS, and I am excited to see how they will use the skills and knowledge they have learned when we return to our school.

- Toby Koy, Peace Corps Volunteer, Sirigu Senior High School

1 comment:

Mark Mitchell, Philadelphia said...

You're doing a great service.

It's wonderful to hear about how STARS has provided your students and you with the opportunity to deepen your commitment to learning and leadership in Ghana. What more appropriate reward could there be for your hard work in the Peace Corps?

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us!