Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Why I Brought My Kids to STARS

Even though I have only seen the results from the first two days of STARS, I can already point out the positive effects. My students (usually very quiet and shy in an almost oppressive way) have been slowly opening up and giving their opinions. Just the fact alone that they aren’t being yelled at and shot down for having an opinion is doing wonders. They are encouraged to think critically about real issues. STARS is helping these students to be great role models for their young generation. They will influence others, who will in turn influence more people. In short, STARS has the potential to change Ghana for the better, in helping it to really “move forward”.

I first brought my students to STARS for these very reasons, and more. I wanted to fill them with a kind of positive, non-dictatorial confidence. They need to be given the small nudge in the right direction towards being an intelligent leader. I also wanted my students to see a completely different part of Ghana (they are from the Upper West) with a different culture and language. Think of it as a real-life social studies class. They get to meet, interact, and hopefully become friends with students all around Ghana. This true to life experience is one in a million for these kids, some of which have never gone outside of their villages and have little or no money. They will remember STARS forever.

-Stephanie Langham, Peace Corps Volunteer, Piina Senior High School

No comments: