Friday, June 26, 2009

Letters from the Students

I am very appreciative of this conference. I would like to say thank you and God bless you.

It is very interesting because being here is something that I will never forget. I learned about what a person can do to avoid being infected with sexually transmitted diseases like HIV/AIDS, gonnorhea, and syphillis, to mention a few.

I was very happy to attend this conference because I learned a lot about my future. I was able to learn how to set my goals, work towards them and achieve them. Also there are certain things we haven't done before like leadership exercises and playing team-building games.

Finally, I enjoyed the conference because I have made a lot of friends. I hope that this continues next year. I'm very, very happy and I say congratulations to all of you.

- Fauzia, Kumbugu Senior High School, Northern Region


It's been a very great week. First of all, I would like to extend my sincere thanks to all the Peace Corps Volunteers and sponsors that made this conference a reality.

The first time I was told about the STARS Conference, I was trying to imagine how it was going to be. But when we got here, I realized it was something completely different. I have never had such great people to speak to me on issues concerning leadership, HIV/AIDS, tertiary education, and so on. I have gained a lot of knowledge and I have also met many different people from many different schools all over Ghana.

It's been a great experience, and I thank the Peace Corps Volunteers a lot for making it possible.

- Joshua, St. Ignatius of Loyola Senior High School, Upper East Region


Wow, Peace Corps Volunteers!

I was not very excited at first when my school's headmaster and Peace Corps Volunteers nominated me for the STARS Conference at KNUST, because I had no idea what it would be like.

But, when I came, my attitude changed. The education I have received through this conference has changed my life.

First and foremost, I have learned skills to become an effective leader. For example, as a leader I need to first know my weaknesses and strengths before I can make good decisions.

Also, I have learned how to make good decisions about my health and my body. We learned about HIV/AIDS and how to prevent it, how to be supportive of people living with HIV/AIDS, and how to have healthy, constructive relationships with other people.

In closing, I would like to make a challenge to you that this conference could be of benefit to all the students of Ghana. I hope that by next year, you have the opportunity to invite every student in Ghana.

Nicholas, Bibiani Senior High School, Ashanti Region

No comments: